Who says bamboo hardwood is just for the floor?
Here is a sneak peak at what our ceilings are going to look like! This is the laundry room – it continues to progress. We opted to do the ceilings before the floor so as not to worry about messing up the floor while working on the ceiling, and to have it done before cabinets are installed. The walls will indeed be white, though you won’t see many of them as there will be lots of cabinets in here.
It is the dark season, so these pictures make this look a little darker than the wood actually is – it’s the “spice” color of bamboo, which is sort of halfway between the light bamboo and the dark bamboo.
This will have a real window in the transom, not just plastic (which was there to keep the drywall dust out of the rest of the house).
The beam will stay black – just needs to be re-painted.
Putting up this ceiling was an interesting exercise in precision. As 2Chili noted, “this is something we’ve never done before.” What he meant was, it had to be perfect – there wouldn’t be layers and layers of trim to come! And, there will be no crown molding. So, the each cut had to be precise. I think it turned out great and can’t wait to move the room forward more – it is going to be the coolest laundry room we’ve ever built.
You might wonder why we’re starting with the laundry room, as it would seem the kitchen should be first. But, we’ve always done the laundry room first. This is for two reasons:
1) I like to clean my clothes in a clean space. There is nothing worse than dropping clean clothes on a dirty floor – it just means they have to be re-washed. (I hear you snickering Lisa!)
2) Laundry rooms can make a great temporary kitchen, which this will be. We’ll have a makeshift kitchen for a while and can move on to a few other things, like the family room, so we can bring our comfortable couch home. We are both very much over sitting on the futon.
We have prioritized the rooms for completion in this order:
- Laundry room
- Great room (family/dining)
- Guest bathroom (to give us a nice place to shower)
- Powder room
- Back of house (all other bedrooms and master bathroom)
In sports news, today 2Chili raced in the Washington State Cyclocross Championships up in Aberdeen. He placed 27th out of something like 50, which I think is a great result! It was filthy, and I just cringed watching these boys go round and round in the slop:
He thinks this is fun!